About The District



Customer Services

FAQs About



Contact Us

Development Services

Who do I call in case of an emergency?
Woodmoor Water & Sanitation District


Who do I call in case of an emergency?
In the event of a water emergency or sewer back-up, the District maintains 24-hour on-call coverage to assist you.  To report an emergency during business hours please call (719) 488-2525 ext 0. For emergencies after normal business hours, please call (719) 339-1761. Please leave your name, address, phone number, and a brief description of the emergency.  

If you have not heard from the on-call operator within 30 minutes, you may contact Woodmoor Public Safety at 499-9771 or the Tri-Lakes Fire and Rescue Department 488-3303.

To check on current water outages, please call (719) 488-2525 ext 3.