• Phone: (719) 488-2525 ext. 0

  • Hours: 7 a.m. through 5:30 p.m. Mon-Thurs

  • After-Hours Emergency: (719) 339-1761

For more than 40 years, the District has depended on Denver Basin aquifers – water-bearing geologic formations deep below the surface – for all of our water. For decades these aquifers have provided plenty of water but due to declining water levels, these aquifers cannot be expected to supply affordable water indefinitely.

The District’s water supplies are supplemented by surface water from Monument Creek and Dirty Woman Creek that is exchanged as effluent credits from stream flows above the Tri-Lakes Wastewater Treatment Plant discharge.

The District has two multi-media filtration Water Treatment Plants (Facilities) with a total capacity of 4.7 Million Gallons per Day (MGD). The treated water is stored in two one million gallon storage tanks and is distributed to customers in a system comprised of over 85 miles of pipeline.

The District maintains 567 fire hydrants used by the Tri-Lakes Fire Protection Department.

The daily average total water use for the District per person for the past two years is 113 gallons per day.

Of the 326 million cubic miles of water on planet earth, only about 3% is fresh water, 3/4 of which is frozen. Only 0.5% of all water is ground water and only 0.02% of all water is found in lakes and streams (surface water).

Less than 5% of indoor water usage and less than 1% of all water in public water systems is used for drinking and cooking.

Most of the District’s wastewater pipelines are designed for gravity flow but because of the mountainous terrain, there are seven lift stations that pump low-lying areas to high points where the flow can become part of the gravity system.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Who do I call in case of an emergency?

Who do I call in case of an emergency?
In the event of a water emergency or sewer back-up, the District maintains 24-hour on-call coverage to assist you.  To report an emergency during business hours please call (719) 488-2525 ext 0. For emergencies after normal business hours, please call (719) 339-1761. Please leave your name, address, phone number, and a brief description of the emergency.  

If you have not heard from the on-call operator within 30 minutes, you may contact Woodmoor Public Safety at 499-9771 or the Tri-Lakes Fire and Rescue Department 488-3303.

To check on current water outages, please call (719) 488-2525 ext 3.

When should my bill be paid?

Bills are mailed out on or around the 10thof each month are due on receipt and are past due after the last day of the month.

Why is there a base charge on my bill?

The District has a base monthly charge which reflects the amount it costs the District to open its doors to serve you.

Rate Schedule

Why is my bill so high?

If you believe that your water bill is too high, you should first check for a water leak in your home.  The water meter is usually located in the mechanical room and measures all water flow into the home.  A water meter would actually record less water usage due to mechanical wear rather than over-read water that went through the meter.

What does "final bill" mean?

When you move from your home, a final bill will be rendered for the portion of the month that you lived in your house.  If you have sold your house, an estimated amount will be collected at closing.  After that, you will either receive a small bill or a refund check when the actual calculation has been made.  Please be sure that we have your forwarding address.

What's the average bill on a property?

The average usage on a property varies with different family sizes and water use habits, including outdoor watering.  The average bill is currently $73.00 per month, which does not include the RWIF.

Does the District accept credit cards?

To pay with a credit card or electronic check you can access the Xpress Bill Pay located on the home page.

What methods of payment are accepted?

The District accepts payment in the form of cash, personal check, credit card, money order, or auto-draft.

Why is there a past due amount on my bill when I already paid?

Payments received after the Due Date are not reflected on the current billing statement. This does not mean that you did not pay your bill however the payment may have been posted to your account after the current billing statements were prepared.

Customer Service

What is an ASC charge?

The Availability of Service Charge (ASC) is a flat fee charged to owners of vacant lots for available lines that are not being used.

Are tap fees paid on a lot?

Tap fees are paid when a tap permit is completed and are typically paid at the time construction begins. The District will not perform inspections of service installions until tap fees are paid. Please contact the District office if you have any questions.

Who should I call for electric, gas or other utilities?
  •  Cable Television: Comcast Cable (719) 264-1381
  •  Electricity: Mountain View Electric (719) 495-2283
  •  Natural Gas: Black Hills Energy (888) 890-5554
  •  Road Maintenance: El Paso County DOT (719) 572-5147
  •  Telephone: Century Link Communications (800) 244-1111
  •  Trash Service: Tri-Lakes Disposal (719) 495-8652
Who has meter and backflow responsibilities?

The Districts Rules and Regulations require that the homeowner is responsible for the water service line beginning at the property line to include the curb stop shut off and all interior plumbing including the PRV, the backflow device, the water hammer device, and the water meter.  The District is more than willing to help its customers identify a problem but the cost to make repairs is the responsibility of the customer.

Who pays for repairs to roads?

In the event the road should be damaged when making repairs to the Districts pipelines or facilities, the District incurs the cost of repairing the road to El Paso County standards.  If a contractor or homeowner is required to tap into the Districts' pipelines, then they must make repairs according to El Paso County standards.

Where do water and sewer lines run?

If you are installing a new service or just planting trees or landscaping, the law requires you to call before you dig.  The Utility Notification Center of Colorado (UNCC) 8-1-1 or www.call811.com can assist with locating a variety of utilities.  The District also maintains easement information and tap drawings that show the location of water and sewer service lines on personal property.  Contact Us for a copy of your tap drawing.

Does the District handle trash disposal?

The District provides only water and wastewater services to the properties within the District boundaries.

How often is the water tested?

The water is tested daily to maintain chlorine residual in the system and to evaluate treatment process control.  We are required to test monthly for bacteriological monitoring according to an approved sample plan.  A more extensive monitoring schedule, established by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, is required to comply with the Safe Water Drinking Act (SWDA) and the Colorado Primary Drinking Water Regulations (CPDWR). The results are published in the annual Water Quality Report (Consumer Confidence Report). The report is available on our website or at the District office.

Why is my water brown?

Occasionally you may have experienced a problem with a yellow or brownish color to the water.  This discoloration is caused by the iron residual that remains in the water even after treatment.  This problem can occur when there is an unusual demand such as a water main break, use of a fire hydrant, or unusually high consumption throughout the community.  When you report this to our operations department, the affected area can be flushed out.  After the system has been flushed, you will need to flush your pipes by running a cold-water tap for a few minutes or until clear.  If this should happen when you are doing laundry and your clothing is discolored, the clothes should be re-washed, after you have flushed your pipes, using the additive "Rover" or "iron-out", which The District will provide at your request.

Is brown water safe to drink?

Yes, iron removal is a secondary water quality standard as it is more an aesthetic quality and does not affect the safety of the water for consumption.

Why does the water occasionally smell or taste bad?

The source of water will usually have the most influence on how water tastes or smells.  The District pumps its water from underground aquifers and the soils that the aquifers are composed of will give the water its characteristics.  The Arapahoe aquifer is higher in iron and manganese, which hint of a more metallic taste than say a stream, lake or other surface water source.  The reduction of iron and manganese are controlled in the treatment process using potassium permanganate and chlorine, which is also the primary disinfectant to the water.  If the chlorine level or residual drops below a certain level in the distribution system, it can actually develop an odor and a bitter taste.  This can be corrected by adjusting the chlorine feed and an isolated flushing of the distribution system.

Is bad tasting or smelling water safe to drink?

While it may be unpleasant, it is safe to drink.

What should my water pressure be?

The water pressure in the District's distribution system can vary depending on the pressure zone your house is located.  System pressures can range from 40 psi to 180 psi.  A  lead-free adjustable pressure reducing valve (PRV) is required to be installed prior to the meter to protect interior plumbing components and reduce water consumption. The PRV can be adjusted from 25 to 75 psi  with a standard setting of 50 to 60 psi.

Why do my pipes hum or buzz?

If you are experiencing problems with low pressure, humming or buzzing pipes, it is more than likely caused by a faulty pressure reducing valve (PRV).  The PRV reduces the pressure from the main distribution system into your home.  The recommended household pressure is around 55 psi. The PRV is installed immediately where the service line enters your home (in the area of the water heater and the indoor water meter).  When the PRV fails, the pressure in your home can no longer be adjusted, and the PRV should be replaced.

What can cause a sewer backup into my home?

There are several things that can cause a sewer line backup e.g. separated joints, clogged pipes, root damage, cracks in the pipe, and mainline backups. To help protect your home from a sewer backup and costly repairs the following is a partial list of items that you should avoid washing down a drain or flushing down your toilet.

Don't Flush List

Who is responsible for the maintenance and repairs of the sewer service line?

The customer owns the sewer service line from the residence to the connection to the Districts sewer mainline and is responsible for any maintenance and repairs. Contact your homeowner insurance agent to determine if you have coverage for sewer and drain backups.

Who do I call in the event of a sewer backup?

If the backup is a continuous flow coming from drains in the home, contact the District immediately at (719) 488-2525 ext. 0 or after-hours by calling (719) 488-2525 ext 3.

If the backup appears to be standing water or does not appear to be a continuous flow coming from a floor drain, tub, or toilet except when water is used in the home i.e., flushing a toilet, showers, laundry, dishwashers, etc. the problem is most likely in the service line from the house out to the District main. Contact a bonded and insured plumbing services company with experience in mechanical cleaning and closed circuit TV (camera) pipe inspection.

Sewer Backup Information

Our site uses cookies to enhance user experience. Some parts of the site may not function properly if you choose to reject cookies.